C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 18:21:23 -0800
I wonder if this would really hold true for the ones
coming after you? Speaking as a mom of a youngster
with moderate spastc quad CP and other medical
issues,I wonder if the treatments that are offered to
our kids now, that weren't offered when you were
growing up, might in fact lessen the effects of aging
by lessening the spasticity early. Right off the bat I
think of SDR surgery, which ALex has had done when he
was four(they cut the sensory nerve rootlets in the
lower spine in order to interupt the  "bad" message
from the brain to the legs) and the  bacoflen pump.
Prior to the SDR, Alex required the use of his hands
to balance when he sat. He could sit indian style if
placed that way but had to be placed in and out of the
position. He could not pull to a stand and he did not
walk even with  very supportive gait trainers. He was
also labeled severely MR because he could not perform
tasks on the  IQ tests because he needed his hands to
balance. After the surgery his legs were noodles.
Today 2 years later,he can side, indian,and long sit
at will, getting in and out of position with ease.He
pulls to a stand and can side step. He is also able to
use a walker now for short distances. The early
decrease in spasticity has got to help when he does
age.As far as MR goes, now with the simple use of his
hands for something other than balancing he is
participating in the regular 1st rade classroom,doing
regular 1st grade work with modifications like using a
computer rather than handwriting etc.
Joanne