C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:33:34 +1300
7BIT
From:
Jeremy Persen <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Dina,

You are not the only one wanting a trike like that.  I am a lurker on here, but riding a trike
became a major passion for me about 2 years ago, so I had to reply!

I ride an upright "Gilbert Trike" which is made by Trikes New Zealand (email:
[log in to unmask]).  They don't have a website but I can email you a picture of mine if you
like.  Gilbert Trikes start life as regular mountain bikes, but are converted to trikes by Trikes NZ.
This gives you a light weight alloy frame, plus a standard 18 speed chain drive and other
components.  This means parts or maintenance can be obtained from nearly any bike shop.  I
do a lot of off road and dirt road riding, so the trike's mountain bike gearing and tyres are a must
have.

They used a womens frame for my trike, which has a low cross bar making getting on or off
easier.  It took a few weeks practice, but I have getting on and off down to a fine art now.

Don't discount a trike because of the seat, most can be easily replaced.  Most bike shops have
a wide range of seats you can buy separately.  The only catch is getting the right size and type
of mounting bracket.

Have a look at the Gomier website for upright trikes with really low frames:
http://tricycle.makers.com.tw/
Check out model 982010, it has a tractor style seat.

HASE make recumbent trikes: http://www.hase-spezialraeder.de/admin/starte.htm
As well as Greenspeed: http://www.greenspeed.com.au/

I would love a recumbent for the increased stability and comfort, but they are typically double the
price of an upright.

I can't lift my trike, but with two boards as ramps I could probably push it backwards into the
car.  Undoing the front wheel and putting it back on would be a hassle for me though.  If you can
get a powered lift that would save wear and tear on you.

I hope this helps.  Let me know what you decide to get, I would like to chat with another triker.
Cheers,

Jeremy

On 25 Jun 01, at 1:05, [log in to unmask] wrote about Can anyone help me out on this one?:

> Hi all,
>
> I am on summer vacation right now and got this idea to buy a tricycle to
> get around campus more easily in the fall. I am at a local university.
> Now, here's the problem:

Jeremy Persen, Programmer                | Work: [log in to unmask]
Vista Software Ltd.                      | Web:  http://www.vistaware.com/
Nelson, New Zealand                      | Home: [log in to unmask]