From:
Paul Besl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:00:36 -0500

Hi All,

If you are not DH and don't care about Dapsone, bail now.

Some people can take Dapsone for years and years without any apparent
ill affects.  In my case, I read all the possible side effects before
taking 1 small 25 mg tablet per day.  During the next month, several
other strange things happened (nothing to do with anemia or my liver).
After less than a month, the other symptoms reached a level that I could
not deal it with anymore.  Another person suggested a chemical cause.  I
called the pharmacy immediately.  I asked about the side-effects I was
having.  They said, "Sure ... it can cause that. Says so right here."
Mind you I had to spell Dapsone twice because the pharmacist was not
familiar with it at all.  So this was not a Dapsone expert speaking.
And note, the list of side effects that the pharmacist read from the
book included about 20-30 possibilities not listed on the sheet of paper
that came with the prescription.  It is generally agreed the Dapsone is
a powerful drug (it's intended for leprosy, malaria, and is a general
very strong anti-inflammatory agent).  I encourage anyone whose DH is so
bad that they require it to be very careful and get the full list of
side-effects in the PDR reference book.  Don't accept the abridged list
as the full story.

By the way, Dapsone did do wonders on clearing
up skin problems, but for me the cure was way worse than the
disease.  This is a rare effect. Most people don't have any
issues beyond the anemia side effect.  The key is to have
an awareness about the drug before you experiment with it
if your symptoms require it.  Anyone taking it should view
it as an experiment...not something akin to taking tylenol
for a headache.

Best wishes,
- Paul