From:
Linda Vogue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:09:19 -0800

Listmates,

Yesterday I purchased Mystic Lake Dairy banana muffins, which are gluten
free, from Nature's (a Wild Oats store) in Beaverton, Oregon.  After
eating one this morning for breakfast, I noticed with horror that there
were blueberries in the muffins.  The package was mislabeled!  Although
the label says banana, in fact, they are blueberry muffins which DO
CONTAIN GLUTEN.  I confirmed this by phone with Mystic Lake Dairy, who
said they knew of the problem!  Apparently they have not contacted any
of the retail stores about this.  I contacted Nature's in Beaverton to
advise them.  They were unaware of the mislabeling and said the product
would be pulled from the shelf.  I next called Food for Life in
California.  Food for Life makes and packages the product for Mystic
Lake Dairy.  The customer service rep I spoke with was very apologetic
and said she would immediately let quality control know.  My call was
the first they had heard of the problem.  I advised Food for Life that I
would post this to the list.

Sometimes even reading the label isn't enough.  For me, I guess one
answer is to slow down and stop eating on auto-pilot!  Anyway, if you
have any of these muffins, or plan to purchase them, it would be a good
idea to inspect them as best you can before eating.

Linda, Beaverton, OR