VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 13:23:13 -0500
The individualized differences for those with low vision cannot be
stressed enough.  When we started our newsletter here at the Chicago
vicug, we originally had a large print version.  We soon found that
nearly all of the large print readers needed a version specific to their
needs.  different people wanted different point sizes.  Different people
wanted different typefaces.  some wanted no spacing between each line.
Others wanted double or triple spacing.  Some wanted narrower margins.
Others didn't.

Our solution?  Promote an electronic format so that people can print the
newsletter using a template that matches their needs.  For those without
computers, we showed our members how to modify settings in a word
processing file.  We also introduced some to low vision evaluations and
magnification aides.  Again, the idea was to help each person identify an
individualized solution that worked recognizing that there really wasn't
a universal one.

Kelly