From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:15:27 -0700
I have just gone through this myself. Compaq is not very good at this. I am
working on a Presario Desktop and the only driver Compaq had posted was an
audio driver for 98.  Compaq's attitude is that they designed the machine
for a certain operating system, at a certain point in time,  using their
special components and that is all they are obligated to support. To make
things worse Compaq does not use off the rack components. They like to use
their own special  Compaq  version of name brands that is often proprietary
to their systems.

Their RAM, and their modems may not work on any other computer. I tried to
use a standard PNY and Kingston 32 meg SDRAM on this board and eventually
had to break down and order a special Compaq SDRAM from Crucial that was
designed to work on specifically on this Compaq model....at a cost of 37
bucks!  .

If you attempting to install 98SE or ME then the OS should have adequate
video drivers in it's driver collection.

Up until recently, Compaq used proprietary modems that are actually LT
Winmodems ....but unlike a IBM or a Gateway LT Winmodem, Compaq's version
are special and will not necessarily run on other non Compaq computers. You
will find lots of information here http://808hi.com/56k/ltwin.htm and
drivers here http://808hi.com/56k/ltwin7.htm. Be warned that once you
upgrade the software drivers /  firmware you may have problems with
connects  and functionality. This has been my problem. The good thing about
LT Winmodems is that their is lots of Driver/Firmware upgrades. However
once I upgraded to 98 and installed various version of updated LT modem
drivers support it ...I could never resolve a  poor connect and disconnect
problem. Eventually I gave up and bought a new modem.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

At 09:56 AM 9/19/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I entered the site of Compaq to look for drivers for a notebook model 1610.
>There was no way I could get them.
>I need to know what internal modem and video card it has and the URL where I
>can download them.
>TIA Roberto

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com