From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 21:05:02 -0400
The 169.x.x.x IP address is the windows default non-routeable IP when It
cannot find an
DHCP server to obtain an IP address.

I've had this happen to me before. One of my client machine's wasn't getting
an IP address,
but the NIC, and my gateway showed connectivity.  Yet when I pinged the
machine

Try using a different patch cable.  It's possible that one of the cable's in
it is loose that's either not tranmitting a signal or is getting corrupted.
I set a static IP on the machine, and couldn't ping my gateway. I checked my
gateway's loggs and It wasn't recieving any traffic.  In my setup I have a
patch cable that goes into a punch down jack, then ran to the ran with the
gateway into another punch down jack (a RJ 45 Block, not a whole punch down
block) then to another patch cable to the gateway machine (at the time a
Windows 2000 Pro machine with Internet Connection Sharing enabled).

What I did was goto the client end, un wire, cut about and inch off the
incoming cable, and re punch it in the jack.  Plugged that patch cable back
in, and set the Client back to DHCP, and did reboot, and it obtained a valid
Private IP address.  It was off and surfing.

I don't know what your specific design is.  So my basic suggestion to you is
check your cable, check the RJ 45 in put's on the Laptop's NIC.  There
probably a cable loose somewhere (or a pin in the 45 jack that's loose or
not getting a good connection).

Regards,

Patrick Black
CCNA