AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:56:06 -0700
The EASI list and the AXSLIB-L lists are back and functioning.  The
Internet connection for those lists and for all the lists run from St.
Johns University were knocked out as a fall-out of the terror attack on the
World Trade Center towers.  Apparently the Internet connection ran through
a nearby building which was impacted and whose basement became flooded with
water.  We share the grief of all the thousands who lost loved ones in this
vicious attack.  We also thank all the rescue workers including those whose
work resulted in the resumption of our lists.  We also want to thank St.
Johns once again for providing this service to EASI.  At a time like this,
we need each other more than ever, and anything which helps us stay
connected to each other is a valuable resource.  Thank you St. Johns!

I want to draw your attention quickly to a couple points of information
that will be happening soon and which we have not been able to announce
because of the shut-down.

1.  Shortly, EASI will post a new webcast.  This is a celebration, and we
can use a celebration about this time.  Dr. Larry Scadden of the National
Science Foundation is retiring after founding and developing the NSF
Program for Persons with Disabilities.  We recorded a party help via
telephone and you can now listen in as we recognize Larry's fabulous work.
Find it at:
http://easi.cc and select either site index or webcasts.

2  On Mon. October 1 EASI's Barrier-free Information Technology course
begins.  It is a month-long online course on how institutions and
organizations can make their information technology and computer systems
accessible to people with disabilities.  There is still plenty time to
register.  You can register and see a syllabus at:
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm and select Barrier-free Information Technology.
 There is also an interesting link there demonstrating the innovative uses
we are making of Internet media to simulate real presence.

3.  Let me remind you that the above course and others can be applied
toward the new Certificate in Accessible Information Technology given via
the partnership between EASI and the University of Southern Maine.
Information on this certificate program is also available from the same URL:
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm

Welcome back everyone and a special hearty welcome to our friends in both
New York City and in Washington.

Norman Coombs
Professor Emeritus Rochester Institute of Technology
CEO EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)