VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:00:50 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Aman Singer [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 1:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Talking Cell Phones

        Hi.
        There are two pieces of software that make cell phones
accessible. Talks is a screen reader that works on the operating systems
of many phones,
primarily from Nokia. The Talks site is at
        http://www.talx.de/index_e.htm
        There is a list for Talks. To subscribe, send a message to
        Mobile accessibility, which is a shell application (sort of like
Keysoft for the Braillenote or Viawind for the PC), that works on most
of the same phones that Talks works on, is at
        http://www.mobileaccessibility.com
        I believe, though I'm not sure, that there's a list for that
program.
        Finally, there's a phone available from Sprint Wireless, which
is called the Audiovox CDM-9900 (also called the Toshiba 4050). It is
somewhat accessible, in that its basic functions speak. For more
information, see

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/PhoneDetails.jsp?sel
ectS
kuId=toshibavm4050
        It's also said this phone is going to be used by other providers
like Verizon, though this hasn't been officially confirmed to the best
of my knowledge.
        Aman