VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amanda Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 23:35:52 -0400
                I agree with Mike Gravitt and i'd like to point out  the
following as well:

1.  ACB and it's membership who do lobby have participated in various
efforts to support Accessible Currency over the years to no avail.

2.  The ACB would not ever consider wasting limited resources to pursue a
legal action which was not well thought out or for a frivolous cause.

3.  Currency changes periodically.  Remember that the $10 bill was changed a
few years ago and there's talk about changing other bills so I don't
consider this to as being any great imposition upon the U.S. Treasury
Department.

4.  I'm fairly certain that a vending or other machine which accepts bills
in different denominations may already be designed for other countries
whereby the currency is different and that it might not be that difficult to
retrofit or to reprogram.
At any rate, these same vending machines can be gradually changed over as
they are routinely replaced.

5. Ask any person who is blind and who must deal with a lot of cash for
their work such as a vendor, direct sales person, musician, or or service
person whereby cash is routinely exchanged.  I've known of situations where
they've gotten short-changed and had no independent means of either tracing
back to where they made the mistake in knowing what their bills were or
could prove that the guilty party took advantage of him or her.

6.  Since another list participant already pointed out that where the print
is on the bills is already a problem, then perhaps therein is another reason
for redesign to occur.

7.  This past Saturday, I had an opportunity to try a Talking ATM.  I
performed the desired transaction without any problems.  Yet when I reached
for the cash, I still wondered that gee! how do I know that this machine
dispensed three twenty dollar bills versus three ten dollar bills as some
ATM machines do dispense both denominations.  I certainly would liked to
have independently verified this rather than guess and ... pardon the pun!
to have to  exercise blind trust!

These are just some of the points I can think of and know there are more.
But the bottom line is that it is likely that ACB does not have to expend a
lot of resources to pursue this action and I believe it's a great
opportunity for us as persons who are blind or vision impaired to achieve
empowerment and to be able to attain another aspect of personal control over
one's daily life activities.

Amanda Lee
Alexandria, Virginia U.S.