VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Blanton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:34:52 -0400
You don't HAVE to reformat.  However, as Win 98 came out AFTER NTFS and FAT32,
it supports HD formats that Win 95 does not.  (BTW, I am NOT a fan of Win 98,
but I can extoll its few advantages.)  In some cases, it is advantagous to
reformat to take advantage of the different formatting's options.  (FAT32
supports HUGE HDs while FAT16 requires you partition a large HD into smaller
"virtual" drives.  If you have alot of programs that take up huge amounts of HD
space, such as compilers  like Visual Studio, and therefore WANT a large C
Drive, you may want NTFS or FAT32 over FAT15, for example.)  I had to "upgrade"
from Win 95 to Win 98 because Win 95 does NOT support USB and I REALLY did NOT
want to buy a serial cable / cradle to HotSynch my new Handspring Visor.  (The
USB cable / cradle came with the Visor.  The Serial cable / cradle is about $75
USD.  Win NT does not support USB either.  It is Win 98, Win 2000 or Win ME.)

Mary Blanton