VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Blanton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 02:28:05 -0400
The BEST and KINDEST thing you can do for your friends in NOT to use
Microsoft email clients.  (Microsoft Exchange / OutLook.)  MOST of the
viri
and worms that exploit the Address Book do so using Microsoft's
"integrated"
Office suite.  They do this using Visual Basic Script.  Because MS
Office is
integated using VBS, the "advantages" to the integrated-ness of the
suite of
products marketed under Office are exploited.  This exploitation allows
the
virus / worm "author" to take advantage of the MS OutLook / Exchange
Address
Book.

Also, MS OutLook / Exchange has a cute little "feature" that AutoLoads
the
application an attachment requires whenever you pull up a message,
whether
in Preview or Read mode.  The application is AutoRun in the background
allow OutLook / Exchange to draw that cute / useless little "thumbnail"
of
the attachment.  Well, when this happens, the VBS that "drops" the
"payload"
of the virus / worm into the VBS of the application is activated.
BOOM!!!
You are infected and then, every person in your MS OutLook / Exchange
Address Book is vulnerable to infection the very next time you launch
the
now infected Office app..

This works in the following way.  The Payload Drop portion of the VBS is
part of the AutoOpen part of the VBS in the attachment.  This is run
whenever the attachment is launched, in foreground OR background mode.
THIS
then rewrites the VBS in the application that was launched by the
infected
attachment.  Usually the Save or SaveAs procedures of the VBS in the
application, such as MS Word, is rewritten.  THIS actually releases the
payload on to YOUR machine AND sends it out to all in your MS Address
Book.
(And then you have REALLY MAD friends / co-workers / relations.)

The BEST defense is to use a NON-MS email client.  I, personally use
Netscape Mail.  I have NOT been infected by a worm or virus of the VBS
variety, never mind infected everyone in my Address Book.  Two reasons.
First, Netscape Mail does NOT AutoLaad the registered application for
the
extension type of the attachment.  (I have to make the CONCSIOUS
DECISION to
click on the attachment for it to launch any app.  And even then, it
usually
asks me if I REALLY want to do that.)  Second, Netscape Mail does NOT
use
the MS OutLook / Exchange Address Book format, so if I DID become
infected,
the virus / worm could NOT sent itself out to everyone I know.  (Happy
friends / co-workers / relatives.  At least blissfully UN-infected
ones.)

Now, I am somewhat of a Microsoft Hater.  But, this has NOT colored the
facts I have stated above.  I have read a great deal about the "anatomy"
of
a VB Script Virus / Worm in "trade rags".  And all the VBS "experts" say
the
SAME thing.  The "integration" of the Microsoft Office products is the
BEST
thing to happen for virus / worm authors.  It and the ease of writing
VBS
has made it WAY too easy for them to release some NASTY stuff that
spreads
VERY quickly.  (Some of us have HUGE address books.  We get on a couple
of
lists and the number of potential infected goes up astronomically.)  The
best defense is a good offense.  And knowledge is power.

Mary Blanton  (Blisssfully UN-infected for almost 3 YEARS!!!)