From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:12:31 -0500
On Tuesday 12 March 2002 01:55 pm, JOHN G. CAKARS wrote:
> Packard Bell monitor PB8515SV, Cirrus Logic 5430 video chipset
> w/2MB RAM built into the motherboard, use Resolution 640 x 480
> (24 bit)
>
> This monitor has been in active use since the middle of
> October 1994. Basically, the only problem I've had is that
> resolutions greater than 640 x 480 cause pin cushioning and
> don't fill the screen.
>
> Last night and this morning, the image has been jumping back
> and forth. It gets bigger, then it shrinks. It's making me
> batty.
>
> ?? Is this monitor on it's last legs? Or is this easy to fix?
>
> I appreciate any wisdom from the list.

John:
I'd say it's about time to buy a new monitor. 7-1/2 years is a long time for
any monitor, especially commodity-level equipment such as a Packard Bell.
While repair might be possible, I expect that the repairs would cost more
than a new monitor, and the new monitor will be able to run at higher
resolution.
If bucks are a problem, consider a refurbished monitor -- I picked up a 15"
Compaq monitor at a local computer show last summer to use on my backup
system, and I'm very satisfied with it. Cost: $65.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com