C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:14:16 -0800
Jenn,
I hope everything works out the way you hope it will.
You deserve good things happening for a change.
In regards to the strabismus surgery. Alex has had it
done once( both eyes) with limited success.He does see
an optermist(a person who specializes in the muscles
of the eye and the way they work)as well as a
pediatric opthomologist( regular eye doc who also did
the surgery) as well as an neuro-opthomologist who
determines what his brain is perceiving from the
visual input. Alex also had ROP and laser surgery to
halt it and wears powerful glasses. Even so his vision
in his best eye can only be corrected to 20/50 with
glasses.Alex left eye still turns in at times but he
can control it if he thinks about it. After the
strabismus surgery and the less then desirable
results,I asked his doctor if it was possible that the
brain damage was just too extensive in the area that
controls the eye muscles that surgery will never be
able to overcome the consequences of the brain damage.
The answer was "we don't know but even "normal" kids
often have it done over. It  may be a question you
might want to ask your doctor, why go through a
surgery if it won't work. I do hope the third time
will be a charm for you though.
Joanne