C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:18:40 EST
In a message dated 1/29/2002 12:56:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Also, "scold" is usually construed in my mind as an act performed by adults
> and directed toward unruly children! Adults should not be scolded.
>
> Bobby
>
> Oh Bobby, I was so angry the first time I read that word in Mag's post.
Just that word conjured up memories of the times I have been lectured by
people about how to be disabled, get undisabled, how to think (they're big on
that),etc.

   I see the woman with that stern look.  She shakes a disaproving
forefinger.  I had expressed an independent thought, see?  "You're getting
off on the wrong foot with me Betty!"

("Really?  Which one is that, you boat-foot, bertha-lookin'...?")

Wait a minute...that was Miss Stebbins, my sixth grade teacher.  She was
supposed to talk to me like that.

But I'm 43 now, and Miss Stebbins is dead.