C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:19:12 -0500
Hi everyone,

Forgive my quietness on list lately, but I've been busy adjusting to college
life.  I'm having a ball.

I found a great attendant (who's graduating this semester, but I don't want
to worry about replacing her yet), have a decent roommate, made the mock
trial team, forced the bookstore to increase accessibility, got many
door-openers/elevators fixed, got involved with a bunch of progressive
activism groups (anti-globalization, fair labor, feminism, human rights,
etc), made the dean's list, and am slowly but surely making friends (even a
possible boyfriend!).  I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty damn proud of
myself for not just surviving, but thriving.

Anyway, the point of this ramble is that college has helped me realize what
an awesome thing living away from my family is.  I've done things for myself
that I never thought I could do, and experienced things I never thought I
would.  I want to help other people, who are less fortunate financially than
I am (thanks to the settlement with Eli Lilly whose drugs caused my CP) to
have the same wonderful opportunities.

In short, I want to write/call my legislators about MiCASSA, but I'm not
sure what to say.  Could someone outline talking points and/or give me a
form letter that I can work from?

Thanks!

~Joy~