C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:51:56 +0000
On Tuesday 27 Nov 2001 11:46 pm, Linda Wagner wrote:
> Rayna,
>
> I hate falling over because of the reaction from others.  My mom
> always would get so upset as I was growing up, too.  She was just
> afraid I would seriously hurt myself.  Now, as an adult, if I fall
> I look around a PRAY no one saw me!  My best friend from high
> school explains falling the best.  She tells people that are
> meeting me for the first time, "If you are walking along and all of
> a sudden Linda isn't next to you anymore, look behind you. If she
> is on the ground laughing, all is fine.  Just keep walking and she
> will catch up.  If she isn't saying anything, go help her."  We
> laugh about it of course, but it really is true and has put many
> folks at ease around me.  But you are right, that stigma that only
> a child should fall down is there.
>
> Linda

My most spectacular "fall" was at a Computer Show at Wembley
Conference centre. In 1990 I was working for a small Software House
and we were demo-ing a Document Archival system I had written for
them. The day before the show I had been working about 12 hours
(finishing the demo) while the "booth" was being built around me. I
finally had the thing working and was about to call it a day when I
lost my balance.

It was one of those where you take big strides to try to stop
falling, in vain since the booth was only about 8 yds wide, and by
the time I'd travelled almost the entire width, travelling virtually
horizontally like a scud missile I piled into the flimsy partition
separating us from the booth next door.

This plasterboard obstacle (covered in hessian) did little to impede
my progress - just buckled and flew out of its frame. Fortunately the
chap working in the next booth did not have a heart condition
(although he may well have one now!!). I have never seen a bloke so
shocked in my life - he must have thought the marines had arrived!!

Cheers

Deri (the Destroyer)