AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patricia F Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:37:21 -0400
Hi, Ellen,

I just figured out how to join the AXSLIB list today. I was reading the
messages on this topic, and thought I would try sending the message.

I've recently encountered a similar problem with a hospital based e-mail
software program that would not recognize periods when included in e-mail
addresses. We had an awful experience in which patient information was
inadvertently sent to a student group when the clinician hit "reply to
all" because their software did not include the complete e-mail address.
Scary. Through trial and error, we discovered that their software did
recognize a hyphen, so we are using that now. The problem is actually an
error in configuration of the hospital's e-mail software, and the other
e-mail list providers are offended that they get to deal with the problems
when it is the fault of the other server. I checked the standards, and the
plus sign is NOT supposed to be used in e-mail address (ahem), although
hyphens, underscores and periods are acceptable.

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt>

I did get an acknowledgment of receipt from Google Labs, so the message
went through. Please find below the message as sent, and the reply from
Google. The e-mail address given in the reply was simply [log in to unmask]

Interesting problem!

  -- Patricia Anderson, [log in to unmask]