AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K.C. EKE" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:25:06 PST
I started the reply to the article sent by Aggo by:
"Can we avoid negative stories on any of our African countries?  What
are we doing up here to help our brothers and sisters suffering down
there? Will reading these articles and not doing anything about it solve
any problems?"

And ended it with:
"If the media will not talk good about us, let's talk good about us. Let
us encourage eachother. Because of the situation in Sierra Leone people
are starving, you know. We could contribute some money up here and send
to them or buy some food and medical materials and ship to them. I hope
somebody will look into this."

So why the personal attacks on me and Nigeria?  But I am glad things
happend the way it did.  One of our African proverbs says that: "It is
good for the wind to blow so that we can see the chicken's rare."  It's
good to see how much hatred and at the same time, jealousy that exists
for Nigerians and their country.  This does not apply to everyone so
please do not take offense.

How many of you have been robbed by Nigerians, or how many have been
treated so badly by Nigerians?  Even then, will you take out the
bitterness on the whole country?  Do you think that all Nigerians take
pride in the short comings of their fellow country men?  By the way,
what crime have Nigerians committed that has never been committed in
another country?

Should the bad times of any of our African countries be the joy of the
others?  I am a Nigerian and my interest is for us to do something
positive for Sierra Leone.  That's the way it should be.  Not that they
couldn't do it without any of us, but another of our African proverbs
says that: "How are you?  Heals the sick."  It shows that we care and
they will do the same for us when we are facing the same type of
problems.  But narrow mindedly, my critics may think that their
countries are above all problems.  Thanks to Ben Weller who enlightened
me about the actions being taken for the situation in Sierra Leone.
Please do not avoid the reasons why I replied to Aggo's BBC article.
Let us do something positive and cast away the bitterness us.  Let us
not deceive ourselves, walking around and claiming that we are African
brothers and sisters, and yet have so much hatred in our hearts.  May
God help us all.

K.C. Eke