AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:25:22 -0600
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

A friend shared information about this upcoming conference. I hope that
folks from our area can attend, but more importantly, I wish that this
was taking place here at home. It is a very timely topic.

Hedi

The National African American Relationships Institute (NAARI) a t
Georgia
State University is hosting its first National Conference, in Atlanta,
GA.

WE NEED PRESENTERS FOR OUR PANELS AND WORKSHOPS

Some of the topics include but is not limited to the following:

Research Panels
African American Relationships, Marriage or Family
African American Men, Women, Boys or Girls
Fatherhood, Fathers & Sons and/or Fathers & Daughters
Mothers and/or Motherhood, Mothers and Daughters and/or Mothers and
Sons
Impact of the Hip Hop Culture on Relationships
Impact of the Military Industrial Prison Complex on
   Relationships, Marriages & Families
African American Sexuality/HIV/AIDS
Impact of Consumerism and the "Bling-Bling" Culture
Globalization & Corporatization and their Impact on Relationships,
Marriages
& Family
Impact of Stereotypes and/or Hair and Color on Relationships
Gay & Lesbian Relationships
Spirituality, Marriage & Family
What Should be the role of the Black Church in Promoting Healthy
Relationships,
  Marriages & Families
Manhood and/or Womanhood: What is it?
Rites of Passage Programs
Employment Factors impacting on Relationships, Marriage & Families
African American Marriage & Family Therapy

Workshops
Dating and Selecting a Partner*
TLC: Talking and Listening With Care*
Love & Life Cycle Changes*
A Healthy Diet for a Healthy Relationship*
Psychotherapy-Working with African American couples and/or families
Healthy Love: HIV/AIDS Prevention*
How to Enhance Your Sex Life
How to Incorporate a Rites of Passage Program
Parenting or Working with Difficult Teenagers
Foster Care and/or Adoption
Financial & Estate Management
Improving Credit & Purchasing a Home
Dealing With Domestic Violence
Dealing With Substance Abuse
Building a Spiritually Strong relationship/Marriage
Psychotherapy-- Working With African American Couples & Families
Younger Men with OlderWomen

Plenaries
State of African American Relationships, Marriages & Families
Sister to Sister & Brother to Brother
Brother to Sister
How Couples are Making Marriage Work
A Meeting with the Elders
A Meeting with Youth

* already have presenters

The purpose of the NAARI National Conference is to bring together,
scholars,
authors, marriage & family therapists & practitioners, educational
institutions, community, civic, professional, youth, & faith based
organizations, government agencies, & corporations, in a forum to
discuss
issues facing African American relationships, marriages and families,
explore solutions to build and strengthen their marriages and families
and
to provide information, education and skills for African American
singles,
couples and families. For further information visit our website at
www.aarelationshipsinstitute.com or go directly to the call for papers
page
http://aarelationshipsinstitute.com/NAARIConfInfo.htm

If you would like to participate on a plenary, present a paper on a
panel,
have an idea for a panel, or would like to present a workshop, please
visit
our website at aarelationshipsinstitute.com under the conference link
and
submit a presenter application by January 31, 2004
(http://aarelationshipsinstitute.com/AnnualConferece.htm) or mail to
NAARI,
Department of African American Studies, Georgia State University, P.O.
Box
4109, Atlanta, GA 30302-4109.

Registration
You may register on-line by March 1, 2004 to get the conference rate
http://aarelationshipsinstitute.com/AnnualConferece.htm

Hotel Accommodations
Sheraton Colony Square Hotel
188 14th Street, NE
Atlanta, GA
1-800-325-3535
Reserve by March 1, 2004 to get the Conference Rate at the $99.00.
After
that date the starting rates will increase to $169 a night or more.

If you need further information contact us at
[log in to unmask] or call at 1-877-831-5258. We need
your
support and look forward to your participation.

Patricia Dixon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor in African American Studies at
Georgia State University & Founding President &
CEO of the National African American Relationships
Institute (NAARI)