AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Mlatawou <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:29:41 -0400
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

Another important bit of internet activism that we can easily do to persuade the White House that they MUST investigate the leaking of the identity of and undercover CIA agent by a "senior White House official" in retaliation for the agent's husband's public criticism of Bush's reasons for going to war in Iraq:

Dear friend,

      Today we're giving you a chance to clear your name. We're asking you and tens of thousands of other MoveOn members to sign an affidavit affirming that
      you didn't leak the identity of an undercover CIA agent to the press last July.

      Here's why:

      President Bush told the press on Tuesday that he doesn't "have any idea" whether the senior administration officials who blew a CIA operative's cover will
      ever be found. But if he just asked his staff to sign a legally binding affidavit confirming that they weren't involved, and referred anyone who wouldn't to
      the FBI, it's possible he could flush out the perpetrators in a day. To date, the President hasn't even discussed this matter with his staff.

      We've already done the President's homework for him by writing the affidavit. Now let's show him how easy it is for innocent people to legally declare their innocence. You can sign the affidavit and
      send it to the President in under a minute by going to:
      http://moveon.org/affidavit/?id=-3028189-LCcj0dHvj3qv6hwItBYOZg

      On Sunday, Reuters reported that Valerie Plame, the CIA agent whose cover was blown "was probably the single highest target of any possible terrorist organization or hostile intelligence service
      that might want to do damage," according to a former senior CIA official. It's now clear that the leakers in the White House are willing to put national security and the lives of CIA operatives in danger
      for their own ends. But President Bush seems unconcerned -- he hasn't even looked into who it might be.

      Here are a few quotes from the Bush Administration that give some contrast to the task of finding the leakers.

      On finding Osama Bin Laden in Central Asia:
      "We're going to hunt them down one at a time. . . it doesn't matter where they hide, as we work with our friends we will find them and bring them to justice."
      --President George W. Bush, 11/22/02

      On finding Saddam Hussein in the Mideast:
      "We are continuing the pursuit and it's a matter of time before [Saddam] is found and brought to justice."
      --White House spokesman McClellan, 9/17/03

      On finding the leaker in the close confines of the White House:
      "I don't know if we're going to find out the senior administration official. I don't have any idea."
      --President George W. Bush, 10/7/03

      President Bush can do better than that. He could start by simply asking his staff to sign a legally binding affidavit. Show the President how easy it is. Sign the affidavit and send it on to the President
      today at:
      http://moveon.org/affidavit/?id=-3028189-LCcj0dHvj3qv6hwItBYOZg

      It's been three months since Valerie Plame's identity was leaked to the press. The time for President Bush to take command and find the leakers is long overdue.

      Sincerely,
      --Carrie, Eli, Joan, Noah, Peter, Wes, and Zack
        The MoveOn Team
        October 9th, 2003

      (Many thanks to the Center for American Progress for the research and quotes.)