AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
mathew jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 11:03:14 -0700
Hi Eugene Johnson,

We laud you for your one-man crusade to develop the
transportation infrastructure.Well, it is about
time,because by now we ought to have had a first class
road and transportation network linking all 53
countries in Africa.

If the industralized world had it's way, they would
leave the bulk of our resources buried underground for
as long as they can, just to perpetuate the dire
poverty in Africa.

Now the unsettling political situation in the middle
east and elsewhere is changing all that.Mining
conglomorates in the west are now FORCED to take an
interest in our vast untapped resources.They went so
far as to confirm what we knew all along,that we, not
the middle east have the largest deposits of oil on
the globe.

If we are to improve the lot of our own people in
Africa,we must now start doing something
concrete.Whatever I or anyone else says now, is merely
an echo of what is repeated in college classrooms
throughout this country.Your approach is the way to
go,just not talking and empty rethorics,but doing
something about whatever we feel so passionately
about.

The situation in Africa is not unlike the assault of
black communities throughout America today.I therefore
declare that we have reached the point of desparation
and desparate solutions alone can produce positive
out-comes for our people.

Today nearly a million prison inmates in America or
50% of the prison population are black;a
disproportionate number considering that blacks make
up only 13% of the US population.

Since more that 80% of these are drugs related,
perhaps we ought to train and young blackmen to patrol
our communities to pervent drugs from being brought
there, but also to organise our communities to boot
out the liquor stores because believe it or not
ALCOHOLISM is the BIGGEST CANCER in black
communities,causing
joblessness,irresponsibility,prostitution and a host
of other social maladies.We must make it harder for
liquor stores to set up shops in our backyards.

We know the story;blacks don't make the drugs, they
merely sell them.My contention is that if the dealers
are so bent on selling something to make money,why we
can we not turn their CALLING to selling something
legeland making them money.Where are the black
businesses----almost non-existant,but we see Asian and
hispanic businesses all over the place in every black
neighborhood.In New York,Harlem the pride of Black
America,was once ghost town, today Africans businesses
are everyehere you look,there is even a city block of
open air market just like we have in Africa.

Imagine if all the billions spent fighting the failed
drug war, were instead spent on starting drug dealers
in legitimate businesses of their own,millions of
blacks and whites and hispanics and Asians'lives would
have been saved from death or incarceration.
BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY AMERICA OUGHT TO STAND UP AND
FIGHT TO DE-CRIMINALIZE THESE STUPID DRUGS THAT ARE
EATING INTO THE HEART OF AMERICA.

For Africa,we need to start a nationwide movement to
bring the plight of Africa to the forefront,and I
believe we have our natural allies in the democrats,
the academia,hollywood,the music industry(remember
BONO )and a sizable section of the media.
I think we ought to steer the African Association of
Madison down that road and raise money to organize
Africans in every state.Up to this point balcs in
America have been fighting our battles for us,but
today we number hundreds of thousand and we ought to
take the lead.Whenever I hear the name of the AFRICAN
ASSOCIATION OF MADISON,I SEE AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO
SOMETHING POSITIVE FOR AFRICA AND BLACK COMMUNITIES IN
AMERICA.
Eugene,keep up the good work and if there is anything
I could do just let me know ..............Mathew