AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:51:37 -0600
This morning, December 21, 1999, on WORT radio, I heard Gates, the
Professor from Harvard who did the documentary on Africa on PBS.  Gates
said that each African American and their family came from one African who
was wretched from Africa.  Gates asked 10 African Americans, if they could
the slave ship.  Gates said that 9 of the 10 African Americans said they
would not free their own ancestor from bondage.

It is shameful; it is an abomination; it is an outrage that a present-day
African American would willing subject their ancestors to 400 years of
beatings, and rapes, and torture,  and murder, and bondage.  It is an
outrage that an African American would willingly subjugate their own
ancestor, so they could have a 27-inch TV and a pair of Air-Jordans today.

If I went back in history, I would be a Harriet Tubman and free every slave
in sight.

Freedom is a constant stuggle.  We're going up on the rough side of the
mountain.