VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mike Gravitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:22:39 -0500
      News Release

Pulse Data HumanWare and Freedom Scientific Forge Agreement to Benefit
Consumers of Assistive Technology

(Concord, Calif.) February 15, 2002.  Pulse Data HumanWare and Freedom
Scientific Inc. today issued a joint announcement that they have entered
into a contractual agreement authorizing Pulse Data HumanWare as a reseller
of two popular Freedom software products, JAWS® for Windows and MAGic®
Screen Magnification Software with Speech. JAWS uses speech technology to
provide access to the Internet and software applications for those who are
blind or vision-impaired. MAGic combines easy to use magnification features
with an optional speech function.

The new partnership represents a significant move by both companies to work
together for the benefit of the vision-impaired consumer. It is unusual in
that both Freedom Scientific and Pulse Data HumanWare are major
manufacturers and distributors of personal data assistants/notetakers,
software applications, and Braille displays for the blind.

 "Freedom Scientific is committed to have its full line of software work
with hardware from other manufacturers," stated Richard H. Chandler,
Chairman and President of Freedom Scientific. "This new relationship with
Pulse Data HumanWare will help ensure compatibility of our products to
enhance quality, reliability and customer satisfaction. Even though we
compete in some areas, we're happy to partner with Pulse Data HumanWare in
making JAWS and MAGic available to their customer base because of their
excellent service and support."

Freedom Scientific Inc. emerged as the largest manufacturer of software and
hardware for people with vision impairments in the United States when it was
formed by the merger of Henter-Joyce, Blazie Engineering and Arkenstone in
early 2000. The consolidation of these companies brought together expertise
in the development and manufacturing of both hardware and software assistive
technology products. The company's Blind/Low Vision Group is headquartered
in St. Petersburg, FL.

"We want to do what is right for the consumer. That's always been the
driving force behind the products we carry and the service we provide. It's
appropriate that now, with the merging of the Pulse Data group, we also
build cooperative relationships with the other companies in our industry,"
commented Jim Halliday, CEO of Pulse Data HumanWare. The company has just
completed a reorganization resulting from a merger of Pulse Data
International, Inc. of Atlanta, GA and HumanWare, Inc. of Loomis, CA. The
new company has established a main office and warehouse in Concord, CA.
# # #