Condense Mail Headers

Sender: PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From: PII-400 <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:51:32 -0400
> When booting a Windows 98 machine I go into scandisk (didn't shut down
properly last time I used it).  Scandisk stops at >37% then informs me there
is a cluster error that it will attempt to bypass.  It is unable and I am
stuck.  I can view everything >on the drive if I do a DOS boot.

> Paul Ecclestone

I'm assuming your problem occurs each time scandisk runs after an improper
shutdown.  You could always "Disable "Scandisk after bad shutdown".  To do
this, run MSConfig and select Advanced on the first screen.  Better yet,
next time you (and your PC) have some time to spare, boot into DOS and run
the following:

scandisk /all /surface /autofix /nosave /nosummary

The /nosave & /autofix swithes assumes you want lost clusters deleted rather
than saved as files.  /All will check all HDs. Also, remove the /nosummary
switch if you want to see the status screens when scandisk pauses 'tween
tasks.  Hopefully this will clear that cluster problem for you.

Ian Carmichael
NYC

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com