C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:31:47 -0500
7bit
From:
Michael H Collis <[log in to unmask]>
Got this in my email today, and believe we can do it!

Mike
---------------------------------

The National Disability Party
Paul Cannaday, President
4971 Wixson, Croswell, MI  48422
Home Phone (810) 679-0236
Website: http://www.DisabilityParty.com
Email: [log in to unmask]

Press Release
For Immediate Release.
01/31/2002 8:58 PM

The National Disability Party (NDP), in collaboration with the
Disability Caucus and Disable Network, announces a US Constitution
Amendment named, "The Disability Rights Amendment."

Why do we need a Constitutional Amendment for people with disabilities?
People with disabilities have been stripped on all human rights from the
time the authors drafted the Constitution.  The question, "why", seems
self explanatory.  Nevertheless, the community of people with disability
have had many accomplished laws on the books that are not obeyed or left
up to interpretation prejudicial legislators, adjudicators, and many US
Presidents.  For examples, Individual with Disabilities Act, 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act, and the Americans with Disability Act have been
carved up by each branch the United States Government.  Meanwhile,
people with disability are hurting for basic needs.

The actual Amendment reads as follows:

Disability Rights Amendment
ARTICLE -
''SECTION 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or
abridged by the United States or by any State on account of mental,
cognitive, physical, psychological or emotional disability.
''SECTION 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by
appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
''SECTION 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date
of ratification.''
The above portion will be inserted into US Constitution after ratifying
state in the union.  What the Disability community needs to decide is
Section 2, "appropriate legislation."

NDP mailing list will gather appropriate legislation and vote on it.
Since NDP is state delegation and disability causes this will assist the
ratifying process of the Amendment without difficulty. To join NDP
mailing list go to http://disabilityparty.com

Weekly updates will be on the Disability Grapevine Free On-line Daily
Newspaper at:  http://disabilitygrapevine.com

We need every disability group for their input.  We also need every
state in the union to assist in ratifying this Amendment.  Please join.