From:
Mary W. Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:13:39 +0800

Dear Listmates:

You have done it again--I received about 25 responses to my enquiry. The
receipe I used follows the summary with changes I made to the original in
parentheses.

    -- use "rice paper" found in Asian food stores.

    -- make crepes using cornstarch in place of flour. . .let stand before
cooking batter.

    -- use cannelloni shells from Ener-G.

    -- use Bi-Aglut pasta from Gluten Solutions (the best this poster ever
tried).

    -- use ziti and toss ingredients together instead of stuffing shells.

    -- use eggplant. Cut it lengthwise, brush with olive oil and bake. Then
roll them for the manicotti shell. Idea came from Sept. issue of "Bon
Appetit" p. 134.

    -- use the pasta receipe in Bette Hagman's book rolling the dough
between wax paper sprinkled with bean flour. It tasted like "real" pasta.

    -- the majority of you suggested using lasagna noodles which is what I
did.

Cheese filling for manicotti

2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 pounds ricotta cheese (I used one 8 oz. container ricotta and one 8 oz. of
    Lactaid cottage cheese smoothed in blender)
2 eggs (next time I would use one as the cottage cheese is soupier than
    ricotta)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
8 or 9 lasagne noodles, cooked al dente. Drain on foil to prevent sticking
    together. Cut in half and press edges together to form a tube.
3 cups tomato sauce - meat or marinara
1/2 cup mozzarella or Parmesan to spread over the sauce (I used less)

Combine ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff into
the tubes. This amount of filling was almost exactly the amount needed for
16 tubes with just a bit left over which I added to the pan. The receipe
said to oil the baking dish but I spread some of the sauce on the bottom of
the pan. Cover with foil and bake 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Enjoy!