Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:39:12 -0500
From:
Christine Coppinger <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you to all who responded to my question regarding whether brown
rice has more nutritional value than white rice!  I received over 50
replies.  Additionally, some sent web sites for nutritional information
(which I will include at the end), and one person sent me a recipe!  I
never really ate rice before, so I really didn't know that much about
it.

Brown rice has more nutritional value than white.  White rice is brown
rice that has been milled to remove all the hull, germ, bran.  This
effectively removes all the nutrients (vitamins, minerals, oils, and
fiber) from white rice. Brown rice has more Vitamin B, folate, iron and
fiber.  The "instant" or "quick" rice does not have as much nutritional
value as regular rice. Many of you suggested storing both pre-cooked and
cooked brown rice in air-tight containers in the freezer as the oils
make it spoil much more quickly.

Web sites that you can look up nutritional content of most foods are:

 www.lundberg.com/brownrice.html

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

www.walford.com,   click on the nutritionist.

www.celiac.com (Gluten Free Mall) has a site that you can purchase
brown rice flour, which can be hard to find.

Thanks again for all your help!!