From:
Wendy Percival <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:02:47 EST

Dear List,

Following the thread of Vance's and Ann Whelan's emails, I would like to
share a conversation with you.

I picked up my daughter from a friend's house recently and had a very
interesting conversation with her friend's father, a food scientist at a
large manufacturer.  He told me that the topic of celiac and gluten-free
oftens come up at meetings about new food products.  Someone asks the
questions about using gluten-free ingredients so the celiacs can eat the
product, and someone else reminds the group that celiacs as a community
cannot agree as to what is allowable (on a global basis), and they then
decide not to even consider it.  Imagine what clout we could have if we could
all agree?

Another interesting thing he mentioned is that as per the Code of Federal
Regulations (CFR) "modified food starch" must be made from corn.  I have
never heard this, and have been told by many manufacturers (including Kraft
on that particular day) that they could not definitely tell me what the
source was, and that it could be corn, tapioca or something else.  Anyone
have info on this?

Just my two cents worth.

Wendy
Kansas City