From:
jbramble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:29:09 -0400

I received a few responses to my inquiry about people's experiences with
snowball stands and ice cream trucks. Although, several people were very
interested in a summary!

1. "You're better off keeping the Ice Cream trucks out of your
neighborhood. Don't patronize them and encourage your neighbors not to.
They are such a nuisance. Keep your own GF ice creams and popsicles in
the freezer for your son.  Often they rip off little kids ...
overcharging them or giving them something other than what they ordered.
Special diets? They don't care. One thing that is very important for you
to know is that even if your son doesn't buy from them, they give away
'penny candies' to get the little kids to move away from their trucks
when it's time to move on. Who knows what's in those candies? I think
Halloween is safer!"

2. "Our church was serving snow cones.  I checked the ingredients on the
syrup.

I think it was maltitol that was in it, so I didn't let them use the
syrup.

Instead, I had them bring their own juice, gatorade or whatever and pour
that over their ice cones.  Our ice cream truck carries Blue Bunny Bomb
Pops,

which at one point, someone had a blue bunny gf list posted and this
item was on it.  I guess you'll have to wait and see what your ice cream
truck carries and go from there."

3. "Our ice cream truck carries a lot of blue bell products, most of
them are gluten free. You can check the archives if your truck carries
this brand. Also, my celiac son is youngest of 4 and he is 21 months, so
he already knows what the ice-cream truck is. I also keep supplies in
freezer for him, some of the flinstone push ups are GF, also in the archives. "

4. "I am not sure where you live but our ice cream truck carries mostly
popsicle and good humor which are not tested for gluten.  There are 2-3
items that are on the truck that are ok, Marino's italian ices, minute
maid lemonade ices and and a haagen daaz chocolate ice cream bar (this
cost $1.00 more than the other items).  So my advice is to wait until he
notices the truck.  This is really the first year that my daughter cares
about it and she is 5 1/2."

Thanks to all who responded. I'll just have to see what items our ice
cream truck has and then go from there.

-Janel