Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:33:05 +0200
From:
Jo & Gary Kaplan <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Listmates,

I received 22 responses to my question if anyone experienced
a fever as a gluten response (one of my two gluten-intolerant
sons was sent to a BD party in error).  The next a.m. he came
down with 102 deg. fever lasting 4 days which was Pneumonia
(without a fever) already on the 5th day.  The antibiotic helped
him right away, which seems to indicate to me that it was
bacterial and not viral.

The responses showed a 50/50 split.  12 of the responses
thought it was a coincidental flu.

I was surprised at the 12 that did get indicate that fever after
gluten ingestion can be a direct response, or due to the
affected immune system.  Here they are.  Thank you to all
that responded.

Jo in Israel

--------------

I still get flu type symptoms when I eat wheat/gluten, beef,
dairy, most meats.

Yes, I have had a fever after accidental gluten ingestion--along with
severe headache, vomiting and diarrhea.  I am nearly 60 yrs old and
rarely have a fever, even with an infection.  I also rarely have headaches.

whenever my son was challenged (with even a small amount
of gluten) he reacted with weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and
a temperature of about 104.  Took about 3 days to leave his
system.

definetly gluten can raise a fever.

My mother, myself and my daughter all have CD, and we all
get low-grade fevers up to 101 degrees when we slip.

I usually get extreme chills for about 2 to 4 hours
after eating gluten

accidently gluten ingestion and illness seem to go hand in
hand.  Does the gluten cause the illness?  No, not exactly, but it
does wreak havoc with the body's immune system so if there
is anything else out there to be gotten, you will.  This is my
doctor's theory.  My 3-year old son had a horrible month where
he got hold of his sister's lunch and ate her wheat bread sandwich.
Over the next 4 weeks he got pink eye, had a severe allergic
reaction to the eye medicine and broke out in hives, got stung by
a bee and had a reaction, though fortunately not severe,
and got an ear infection.  Every time he gets something he
shouldn't have, he does come down with a cold as well.

My temp is elevated for three days, its usually 100-101

I do - and chills!  And I am NO child

I don't get fevers- but have wondered about my son too. Would
you post a summary?

yesterday morning I had a gluten attack and by afternoon my
temperature was 101

the severity of his reaction may have been influenced by the fact
that his immune system was busy trying to fend off the gluten.

------

end