From:
Lynn Rainwater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 07:06:39 -0500

The front page of the San Antonio Express-News S.A. Life section this
morning (2 July) featured an article titled "Magazine prescriptions,
Specialty publications designed to inform patients" by Richard Marini,
[log in to unmask] Accompanying the article were large color
photos of six magazines--two of these covers were from Sully's Living
Without, the issue with Rich Gannon on it and the most recent issue. The
long article also covered half of the back page of the section &
included subscription information on 13 different magazines.

The reporter notes that ". . .Peggy A. Wegener started Sully's Living
Without for people with food and chemical sensitivities after being
diagnosed with celiac disease, an allergy to gluten, which is a protein
in wheat and some other grains." and continues "When I began searching
for information about the condition, all I found were these ugly,
black-and-white newsletters," explains Wegener, who previously worked in
advertising sales for Parenting magazine. "So we set out to publish a
pretty, well-designed magazine that tells people how to live a full
life."

The article notes that for most of these magazines ". . . the biggest ad
category by far is pharmaceutical companies--the folks who make the
drugs that keep the magazines's reader alive, if not always well." A
statement that definitely does not apply to Living Without, as the drug
companies have no drugs to sell to celiacs.

Lynn Rainwater
http://www.geocities.com/alamoceliac
Editor of one of those ugly black-and-white newsletters