Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:55:11 -0400
From:
Carolyn Gage <[log in to unmask]>

Lots of responses:

   1.   The Yeast Connection Cookbook, by William G. Crook and Marjorie
Hurt Jones.  Jackson, Tenn. : Professional Books, 1997.

This book is about 3/4 recipes.  The recipes are without gluten grains,
dairy or sweeteners other than fruits.  I highly recommend it.

     2.  Allergy Cooking With Ease: The No Wheat, Milk, Eggs, Corn, Soy,
Yeast, Sugar, Grain, and Gluten Cookbook, by Nicolette M. Dumke.
Lancaster, Pa. : Starburst Publishers, 1992.  The subtitle is a little
misleading: there are recipes that include some of these ingredients,
but on the whole they do not.  This focuses a bit more on baked goods
than the previous book.

  Uses some ingredients you may consider odd, such as "unbuffered
vitamin C crystals" as leavening.

     3. The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding
Your Immunity, by Donna Gates with Linda Schatz. Atlanta, Ga. : B.E.D.
Publications, 1996.  This is not primarily a cookbook: only about 65 of
the 268 pages are devoted to recipes.  However, the recipes are
excellent, and all fit your requirements.  (I have used them a lot,
which isn't always the case with the cookbooks taking up my shelf
space!)  I would recommend this book to anyone with a candida problem.

     4.  Lastly, books by Carol Fenster could be helpful to you:
Special Diet Solutions: Healthy Cooking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy,
Eggs, Yeast, or Refined Sugar. Littleton, Colo. : Savory Palate, 1998
(and I think she just published a third edition), and

        Special Diet Celebrations: No Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, or Eggs.
Littleton. Colo. : Savory Palate, 1999.

      Both of Fenster's books have a good mix of recipes.  The second
one has more non-baked goods.  While some of them may have sugar or
other sweeteners, she is very good about suggesting possible
substitutions.  She tries to make her recipes flexible so that people
with different food sensitivities can adapt the recipes for their
purposes.  Personally, I prefer Fenster's books to those of Bette Hagman
(which every newly-diagnosed celiac seems compelled to purchase) since I
think her recipes are a bit healthier.

      By the way, I have discovered that not all cookbooks aimed at
persons with candida problems totally avoid the gluten grains--I have
been disappointed with one or two that I ordered from a catalog without
seeing beforehand.  So, beware.

Also folks sent me to www.paleofood.com

And two folks suggested I try Primal Defense and Pascalite as anti-yeast
supplements.

Also, Feast Without Yeast by Bruce Semon.

Thanks, everybody!

Carolyn