Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:59:51 +1000
From:
Carr, Emma <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Friends,

I recently posted a request for any knowledge of a similar Australian
List service, as a lot of the discussion on US foods in particular
aren't all that relevant due to differing brands/companies/food
labelling laws etc.

Thankyou to everyone who responded!  A site at yahoo is mentioned below
(check out the new GF bakery in Northcote,Melbourne!) which comes
close...here is a summary of responses so far...

I have contacted many food producers for their lists of GF foods with
differing levels of success ranging from HEINZ who gave me a list of
every product they make and the GF, dairy, etc. status of each item,
through to the owners of DOLMIO who told me they can't give me a list of
ingredients as then I will know their recipe!!

One company I did contact almost immediately was McDonalds. I checked
their web site and if you live in the USA its great - it tells you the
ingredients of all their US stuff - but nothing about overseas. I phoned
their HQ in Melb and they were well aware of coeliacs and responded
almost immediately with a letter that I can present at any store and be
sure to get GF food!

This site is from Australia:
   http://boards2.ivillage.com/messages/get/fdglutenfree10.html
But this one is from the U.S., but some members are Australians too:
   http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtag=celiac&nav=messages

Check out this page that's at celiac.com

http://www.celiac.com/contacts3.html#A

There's a little info on Australia organizations.

Everyone cited Woolworths and Coles as having good selections of GF
foods - apparently I should look in the "Naytura" section, at least at
Woolworths.  Also, check health food stores, which often carry rice
flakes (for muesli, etc) in addition to other GF foods.

Fountain brand soy sauce, found in regular grocery stores,  is GF.

Some butchers are making sausages with rice flour, although of course,
you have to ask.  The writer has seen GF sausages labeled as such,
though.

They apparently have really good food labeling laws Down Under, so
that will be a help, though I was told to watch for:

Hydrolysed vegetable protein
Starch
Malt
Cornflour may be made from wheat!!
Thickeners 14--
and table salt might have very tiny amounts of wheat flour

Try Rosemaries gluten free web pages.
http://melba.vu.edu.au/~rhh/

There is no similar list that I know of in Australia but Australians do
contribute from time to time so you can pick up some Australian info
too. The Australian coeliac society is the only support group I know of
in Australia.

As far as I am aware there is no equivalent in Australia

Emma,
Victoria, Australia