From:
ETLehner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:57:26 -0400
I have an SMC Barricade that I like a lot, although it only has 4 LAN ports,
not 6, so you'd perhaps have to piggyback with another little switch to get
the other ports you need. (Maybe they make a larger model also, I don't know
about that).  But it has the WAN cable port to share the modem with, and the
thing I really like is it also has a print server on it, so that you can get
to the networked printer without having to leave a machine running that has
it hooked up to it.  You install a virtual driver on each machine that needs
to use the printer, and those macihnes then see it as a local printer, and
it works great.  You get to the router setup screens via a browser interface
(the router has a local IP address), and it's pretty easy to set up.  I run
WinME on my LAN and everything went in very easily.  It also does very good
firewall duty on all incoming traffic, which is actually reason enough to
use it even without a LAN, if you're running a constant-on Net connection.
If you want to monitor/restrict outgoing stuff, you still need ZoneAlarm or
whatever.

It's not very pretty, but I keep it shoved under a desk on top of a set of
shelves anyway, so I never even look at the thing.  Just the way it's
supposed to work, with no attention whatsoever.

MHO.

Eileen Lehner
8/24  2255edt

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: