From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:17:31 -0500
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:36:59 -0500, Robert Zeoli <[log in to unmask]> posted
article <[log in to unmask]>, which said:

> Once, a long time ago, I set up two computers (win98), two NIC's, with a
> crossover cable, (no hub), and was able to share an internet connection.
> Now I am trying to do the same thing in a different location using two
> computers running win Me and an external 56k modem.

Speaking purely from memory here, and a very tired one at that, here's how I
set mine up with a crossover cable:

First of all, on the host computer (the one with the modem connected to it),
go to Control Panel | Network and double-click on:

    TCP/IP -> (Your NIC) Ethernet Adapter

and here are my settings:

IP Address

   (x) Specify an IP address:

       IP Address:     192.168.1.1
       Subnet Mask:    255.255.255.0

WINS Configuration

   (x) Disable WINS Resolution

Gateway

   (no settings changed)

DNS Configuration

   (no settings changed)

If you had to make any changes, the computer will have to be rebooted.

Now go to the client computer (the one without a modem) and click on the
same TCP/IP -> (Your NIC) Ethernet Adapter:

And enable these settings:

IP Address

   (x) Specifiy an IP address

       IP Address:     192.168.1.2
       Subnet Mask:    255.255.255.0

WINS Configuration

   (x) Disable WINS Resolution

Gateway

   New gateway:   192.168.1.1   (click Add)

DNS Configuration:

   (x) Enable DNS

   Host:  (type the name of your host computer)

       Note: the name of your host computer can be found by opening Windows
       Explorer and then open Network Neighborhood.  There should be two
       names listed there -- both computers on your network have names.

       You need to enter the DNS addresses of your ISP, which can be found
       on your host computer by double-clicking My Computer on the desktop,
       then double-click Dial-Up Networking.  Right-click on the internet
       connection you wish to use and click Properties.  Click on the Server
       Types tab, then close to the bottom click the TCP/IP Settings button.
       Copy the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS numbers from the fields and
       cancel out.  Take those numbers back to your client computer and type
       them into the DNS Server Search Order field.  Start with your ISP's
       Primary DNS and after typing it in click Add.  Then type in the
       Secondary DNS and click Add.  Then type in 192.168.1.1 and click Add.

Click Ok all the way out.  The computer will have to reboot to enable the
changes.

After that, and assuming you have the Primary Network Logon set to Client
for Microsoft Windows on both computers, you should be able to get both
computers online at the same time.

I had trouble with the ICS that came with Windows, not so much in getting it
working, but keeping it working.  I had to move to WinRoute Pro to get it to
work.  You can get that program at www.tinysoftware.com

I'm very sleepy.  Hope all tha helps,

Ethan

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,