From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 21:54:02 +0900
Jana Eagle wrote:

> I am wondering what to expect.  the books I have read about Candida
> are the Body Ecology Diet and the Yeast Connection and both recommend
> eating some grains (not gluten ones).  If I am not eating carbs
> in grains OR fruit, is it possible to eat enough vegetables to keep me
> out of ketosis?  Or is being ketogenic what I want?  And how long should
> I forego the fruit, is there a sign when I will know it has been long
> enough?  (looking forward to berry season here)  Are we talking weeks, months or years?  (The B.E.D. hinted that it might be a year without fruit to restore "body ecology")

I went through this last fall. I never had a phase where I felt really
terrible. I started a low carb, but not paleo diet in the summer and
kept pretty strictly to it for months. That quickly had the effect of
eliminating the yeast symptoms. As long as I kept low carb I had no
symptoms, but for the first several months, any time I started
increasing carbs I pretty soon got gas symptoms again, so then again I
would cut back. I guess I was in ketosis much of that time, but I
really do not know. Eventually I got to the point where adding carbs,
mostly fruit for me, seemes to have no effect, though if I get too
much for many days some tell-tales begin to come back. So I go low
carb for a while and am OK. I suppose the natural bacteria take time
to return and crowd out the yeast. I eat a fair amount of yogurt which
seems to help. Basically, for me a high fat/meat diet seems best.

I never tried to kill off the yeast with drugs, only diet and garlic
pills, which Atkins recommends. Seemed to do it. I suspect just
cutting sugar out was the big thing, starving the little buggers out.
It made a big difference in my health. It is hard to separate the
positive effects of different aspects of paleo, whether it was
eliminating wheat, or yeast, which had the most effect. I just know I
am a  lot better off in many small ways, that add up to a big
improvement in my life.