NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Juliann Seebauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:46:49 -0500
My son seems to have trouble with a cereal and some other snack that
has annatto. If i remember correctly, he gets a rash, maybe wheezing,
which used to be his milk reactions (now it's changed to diarrhea).

I just looked up the ingredients for the strawberry craisins:
  sugar, cranberries, citric acid, natural flavours, concentrated
elderberry juice, sunflower oil.
Your pepperoni and the craisins both have citric acid listed. Citric
acid is typically derived from corn. Does your daughter have trouble
with corn by- products?
My daughter would throw up when I was nursing her and I'd eat
lunchmeat (with corn syrup) or some corn chips. It took me months to
figure out the connection.

Is the Stonyfield yogurt the 'organic' variety? I have an old email
from another list that the Stonyfield organic yogurt is corn free.
Maybe corn-status is the link between the 3 foods.
Corn is very hard to avoid in processed foods.

FYI, one listing of annatto is here:
http://www.foodag.com/en/100.htm
E160(b)@Annatto (Arnatto, Annato), bixin, norbixinred color; derived
from a tree (Bixa orellana); used as a body paint, fabric dye,
digestive aid and expectorant; used to dye cheese, butter, margarine,
cereals, snack foods, soaps, textiles and varnishes; known to cause
urticaria (nettle rash), the HACSG©— recommends to avoid it