NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amanda Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:57:06 -0700
Hi guys - normally I don't put in my 2cents, but this
one really hits me at the core.  4 years ago when I
was preparing to have my 2nd son - I met with 3
different people on the hospital staff, nutritionist,
patient advocate and the manager of the cafeteria
facility.  We went through an elaborate list of dont's
which includes things like turkey & msg (really from
the maybe list,  but better off without) and I
indicated that I would DIE if I had anything on the
list. Period.  I also told them that a Kosher diet
would work well since most hospital & food staffs seem
to understand that.  My first night in I got a ham &
cheese sandwich. joy - I don't tolerate ham well at
all and the nurse told me to pick the cheese off if i
was allergic to it. grrr.

Event #2:
I just had surgery a week ago to fuse 2 vertebrae in
my neck.  every nurse from the minute I walked in new
about my allergies.  I had given them the same list &
It was written in RED on my chart.  I did well with my
midnight shift nurse when my DH overheard my roommate
(they had a full neurosurgery ward so they doubled us
up) ordering a pizza because she and her boyfriend
were hungry.  He shot out in the hall and told the
nurse what their plans were and pointed out that the
protein in the air from the cheese was enough to send
me into anaphylactic shock.  She was moving before he
was even done talking.  She told my roommate that she
could eat her pizza in the guest lounge, but that it
would not be coming into our room.

Unfortunately, the nurse the next morning was
clueless. She ordered a breakfast tray for me & when
my mother-in-law (a RN)happened to be checking in on
me found out & said something the Nurse told us to
take the milk off and just eat the scrambled eggs and
the waffle with OJ to drink. Grrr.  She had "No idea"
that I had food allergies.  My mother-in-law gave her
the 3rd degree about food allergies & how they kill
people and if she wanted to go through me  being in
anaphylactic shock that was probably not her best
idea.  In any case, my night in shinning armor
happened to be there at the right time.

I still cant believe that they could not get it
straight.  I am thinking about using the Jewish
Hospital here in Cincinnati - maybe they know what it
means to have a milk free meal.

Amanda Lucas