CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 19:40:55 -0600

Another introduction ...

I'm Susan Pieper, located down here in southern NM (only 40 miles from the
TX/Mexico border). I've been a type I diabetic since 1962; I was diagnosed
with celiac in late August 1995. The three kids are grown, my husband is
retired, and I work as a marketing/business development person (writing,
desktop publishing, graphics, etc., etc., etc.) for a local architectural
firm.

My diabetes history is relatively uneventful, and I hope celiac is the
same! I think the one big _advantage_ of already having diabetes is that at
least I was used to the concept that some things are either not to be eaten
or to be eaten infrequently and in moderation! However, I do think the
celiac situation inhibited enough absorption that I had an easy time with
high BGs--they were pretty infrequent. Now the parameters have all changed,
and we're still working on an ideal insulin dosage to deal with my early AM
lows, which I've been having on a regular basis for over a year. I'm also
glad that the advent of Humalog came about the same time as my diagnosis,
as it is a great help in dealing with our necessarily high glycemic index
foods such as rice and baked potatoes.

I don't adhere to any of the high- or low-something diets, although when I
went out to eat with my daughter at a new place on Saturday the only thing
I could eat was a couple of hamburger patties (ugh!) and some tomato
slices! This could force you into the low carb situation if given half a
chance ...

My biggest problem right now is an absolute lack of interest in food. I can
walk by a table full of food and it looks no more appetizing to me than a
stack of rocks. Last week, my diabetes educator mentioned that she'd like
to see me get my appetite back, and my answer (totally un-premeditated) was
"Well, then there'd just be a whole lot of things that looked good that I
couldn't have." How do you deal with this? I guess it's a lot like the
process of blocking chronic pain (something I'm also famous for being good
at). [Note: This same process applies to restaurants, as fully 65% of the
local restaurants are Mexican--places that have about as many no-nos as
anywhere on the planet! Fortunately, "safe" Mexican food is easily fixed at
home, even with lots of fat!]

I am currently edging up to really organizing a local celiac support group
as soon as I finish my term on the board of our local Habitat for Humanity
affiliate. I have a lead on a gastro who may be willing to be a contact
person to the medical community--who has asked for help in getting
information for newly diagnosed patients! I am really looking forward to
doing something positive about the situation. I, too, was given nothing in
the way of information by the gastro who made the diagnosis, but I was able
to start with the celiac FAQ. The dietitian I met with also knew less than
what I'd been able to glean from the I'net. My goal is to have that never
be the case in Las Cruces again after about six months from now!

Finally, I do have a new, neat endo who happens to be the editor of
Forecast Magazine. He, his dietitian, and the CDE all mentioned that "there
seems to be a link between Type I and celiac disease." So, at least a few
people are getting a heads up on the situation! Maybe all is not lost!

Now to Fran's response about "giving yourself a break." Because I take
insulin, I definitely can bend the line a bit with the carbs. However, the
same DOES NOT EVER hold true for gluten for me! There's absolutely no
tolerance for me with gluten--even the amount that may stick on a
Baskin-Robbins ice cream scoop in water can cause me some consternation!

Sorry to be so long-winded, but you are a terribly important group to me. A
lot of times my response to the hassle of being "both" is simply to
withdraw because the interaction with other people just gets too complex.

Take care,

Sue de LC

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]
THE LAW OF REQUISITE VARIETY: The person who has one more alternative than
the number of obstacles s/he faces eventually will triumph. (Anon.)