From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:18:29 -0400
Hi Jeff.

There are a couple of possibilities.  If you have a portable shortwave
receiver that goes up to 30 MHz, you might be able to tune it to the top of
the range and partially collapse the antenna or roll the RF Gain back to
cut the sensitivity.  Then walk around with it and try to use it to "sniff
out" the noise.  What might be an even faster thing to try is to kill the
main breaker while you have the portable turned on.  If the noise keeps
going, then it is outside your house.

One thing that I have had trouble with in that range is noise generated by
the tree in front of my house growing up into the electrical lines.  It is
especially bad after it rains.

If you don't have a portable shortwave receiver, a portable AM 49 MHz
walkie talkie might work for sniffing out the noise too.  It is best to use
a radio that receives AM, as it shows you changes in amplitude more
readily, which can tell you whether you are getting warm or cold.

It would be great if you could use some type of directional antenna with
your noise sniffer, but at those frequencies a directional antenna would
most likely have been too large and unwieldy to manage.

Sorry, I wish I could have been more help, but perhaps that will give you a
little something to start with.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 05:25 PM 9/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,  since moving to this new house of mine I have noticed that
>there has been a lot of electrical noise on the 30-50 MHz band and some on
>HF, but a majority has been on 30-50 MHz.  Before we moved all our stuff
>into the house this wasn't a problem but I noticed at at the old house as
>well.  Any tips on how to find the source of this RF would be appreciated,
>and thanks in advance.

Louis (Kim) Kline, A.R.S.  K2LKK
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]