From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 18:31:20 -0400
Hi Phil.

I think you've already heard about 60 KHz WWVB.  If you are just looking
for time signals, here's a couple of other frequencies you can try.  I
don't know how they propagate out into the western United States, but they
are worth a shot.

CHU, the time and frequency standard station from Canada transmits at 3.330
MHz, 7.335 MHz, and 14.670 MHz.  You can listen to them in either AM or USB
modes--they do not transmit a LSB signal--just the upper side band and a
carrier.

I'm thinking that if you are in the skip zone for WWV, then perhaps CHU
will give you a signal for frequency calibration and time calibration.  Too
bad they don't carry the solar and geomagnetic forecasts that WWV does.  Oh
well, I guess you can't have everything!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 08:52 AM 9/3/01 -0600, you wrote:
>A comment and a question.  Living in Denver, you would think that we have
>perfect access to WWV but during the day time hours, sometimes it is
>impossible to hear WWV on any frequency well enough to copy.  Fortunately, I
>can use the telephone to call their direct line when I can't hear them.  I
>live about 50 miles from their transmitter so you can see how some of the
>frequencies during the day time are too high, while others are too low, for
>50 miles.  Anyhow, here is my question.  Does WWV have a frequency below 500
>KHZ or somewhere down there?  A ham friend of mine told me recently he
>purchased an atomic watch.  He asked me if I had heard of them.  I said I
>had heard of the atomic clock for about 100 dollars and I just assumed it
>received all the frequencies of WWV and that was how it kept its time
>listening to the low PL tone used to keep clocks on time.  He said he read
>in the instructions for his watch that it worked by listening to a WWV
>frequency some place below 500 KHZ so he dialed it up on his rig to see if
>we could hear it in Denver being just down the road, sort of speak, from the
>station.  He could not hear it, of course, but frankly, unless you have a
>better antenna, it is hard to hear below 500 KHZ.  I am sort of a Low
>Frequency LF buff and I keep a log of V O R signals I hear below 500 KHZ.
>Anyhow, my friend could not recall the WWV frequency below 500 KHZ so has
>anybody ever heard of this?  If so, do you know the frequency?
>
>73,
>Phil,
>k0nx
>  Aiming For The Stars