From:
Terry Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:31:32 -0000
Hi John,

I have one of those here.

The Knob on the left, which doesn't turn continuously, is the sensitivity
control for the meter;
The middle Knob switches taps on the coil;
The right hand knob, which turns continuously, is the variable capacitor.

The wing nut goes to the counterpoise wire whilst the other, which is
actually a combined 4 mm socket and screw terminal, goes to the earth screw
on the ATU or radio.

The thing is a series tuned circuit which, using the counterpoise, presents
a low RF impedance at resonance and so effectively sets the ATU, or radio,
at RF ground.

I had to adapt mine by connecting a jack across the meter so I could use my
audio Voltmeter to read it, of course, you're only looking for the peak
reading, not what the voltage actually is.

One problem I had on mine: The top half turn of the coil is used as part of
the wiring, there was a short circuit between this and the top of the coil
which effectively bypassed the capacitor. This was easily fixed and I trust
isn't a common problem, hi!

Hope this helps.

73,

Terry, G3WUX

Describe Online - Unravelling the Maze

For National and London Underground Rail Network map and station finder
For text guides to stations,
Advertising your business and directing customers to you

See http://www.describe-online.com/

Proprietor: Terry Robinson
16 Nibthwaite Road, Harrow, Middx, HA1 1TA
TEL: +44 (0) 20 8861 6909, Mobile: 07771 610 002