From:
Mike Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:50:10 -0600
The Freq-Mite is a small (about one inch square) circuit board which can be
configured either as a stand-alone audible frequency counter, or as an
audible digital display for certain radios.  The information is sent in cw,
rather than displayed.

it was primarily designed for use with single band qrp rigs.  I have one
installed in an Oak Hills OHR-100 5 watt 30 meter transceiver, and another
mounted in a small box and configured as a counter.

Since the configuration of the display changes with various bands, I doubt
that it can be used in this mode with multi-band rigs.

The frequency counter configuration has some possibilities, but, all require
that you transmit a short carrier in order for the circuit to be able to
sample the signal and thereby count the frequency.

I have used the counter successfully when operating 10 meter AM, even with
less than 3 watts from converted CB rigs.

Because of the nature of single side band, you may have to factor in a
slight up or down shift between what is sent by the counter and where you
are actually transmitting.  It only works to slightly above 30 MHz, so, it's
not for vhf or uhf use.

In kit form, the board costs about $20. It is available from Small Wonder
Labs, Newington, CT.  If anyone is interested, I'll locate the contact info.
It disappeared when I upgraded my hard disk.

Mike Duke, President