From:
Brett Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:57:19 -0700
from Friday's ARRL LETTER.....
2 stories here

1
==>YT1AD SAYS "NEVER AGAIN!" TO FUTURE P5 DXPEDITION ATTEMPTS

The Daily DX this week reported additional details about the recent aborted
effort by noted DXer Hrane Milosevic, YT1AD, to operate from North Korea.
Milosevic described his visit there as "a thrill," but said the DXpedition
was thwarted when military personnel intervened. He indicated that he would
not make any further attempts to operate from North Korea--now the second
most-wanted DXCC entity after the soon-to-be-activated Ducie Island.

Accompanied by Voja Kapun, YU7AV, Milosevic said he arrived in the North
Korean capital of Pyongyang March 5 and was welcomed by representatives of
the Ministry of Telecommunications and Foreign Affairs.

"We were stationed in Yangakdo Hotel, on the bank of the river with the same
name," he said, according to a translation of e-mail communications provided
Nenad Stevanovic, VE3EXY, provided to The Daily DX. "The hotel has 47
floors, and we were on the 40th floor, with almost ideal conditions for
work. All our equipment was put together, and we were about to start our
operation with the previously assigned call sign, P5A."

The P5A team reportedly had the nod to operate from civilian authorities in
North Korea. Milosevic said a uniformed official appeared unexpectedly and
imposed a ban on the operation until the team got permission from military
authorities as well. That permission was supposed to arrive March 8, "but
nobody showed up, possibly because of a holiday," Milosevic speculated,
adding that he and YU7AV did not want to risk starting up an unauthorized
operation.

"Meanwhile," he added, "we had fun listening to all the pirates pretending
to be us, when we did not make a single contact."

When a military official finally showed up last Sunday, March 10, he simply
said, "No transmission until further notice." At that point, Milosevic said,
he and Kapun had no other choice but to leave North Korea. "After landing in
Beijing, our only comment was, never again!!!" Milosevic said.

North Korea is not out of reach for DXers, but DXCC credit remains elusive.
Ed Giorgadze, P5/4L4FN, of the Republic of Georgia continues to operate from
there as his schedule permits. Giorgadze--who is with the UN World Food
Program--has obtained oral permission to operate, but his operation has not
yet been approved for DXCC credit. More information on P5/4L4FN is on the
AMSAT Net Web site operated by Bruce Paige, KK5DO. P5/4L4FN has been active
on SSB and RTTY.

and 2
* DXpedition progress reports: A couple of high-profile DXpeditions are
imminent. According to The Daily DX, the pilot station for the XR0X
DXpedition to San Felix, "Dr Bill" Avery, K6GNX, has announced that the
DXpedition team plans to take to the airwaves March 15 or 16. An on-line log
search is available along with the latest news at the DXpedition Web site
<http://cordell.vwh.net/SFX/>. QSLs go to N7CQQ. The DXpedition to Ducie
Island, the newest and most-wanted DXCC entity, expects to arrive at Ducie
March 16 and be on the air the following morning. The call sign will be
announced when operation commences. Located in the South Pacific, Ducie
Island became the 335th DXCC entity last November. The team, sponsored by
the Pitcairn Island Amateur Radio Association, has been operating /mm while
en route. An earlier DXpedition attempt last fall by many of the same
operators was scuttled when the team ran into bad weather. More information
is available on the PIARA's DXpedition to Ducie Web site
<http://www.qsl.net/wd4ngb/ducie.htm>. HF QSLs go via VE3HO, and 6-meter
QSLs go to JA1BK.

Thank You!

BRETT K WINCHESTER  PM  KD7JN

http://www.icbvi.state.id.us/brochure/RADIO.HTM

VOLUNTEER & READING SERVICES MANAGER
IDAHO COMMISSION f/t BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED - ICBVI
P O BOX 83720
341 W WASHINGTON
BOISE IDAHO  83720-0012

208-334-3220 ext 104 +7 = voice mail
fax  208-334-2963
Member IAAIS International Association of Audio Information Services