From:
"David R. Basden" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 08:28:19 -0800
Hi Jeffrey,

         To set your PL, first make sure tones are turned on.  To do this,
press the 7 button until you hear the low beep for the default.  This is
off.  Press the 7 button once more to turn on PL tone.

Next, set the frequency of the PL tone.  To do this, press the A or
function button, then the 7 button.  Turn the tuning knob till you hear the
low tone for default.  This is 67.0 Herz.  It is tone 1.  The 100 Herz tone
is tone 13.  Turn the tuning knob 12 clicks clockwise and press the menu
button (center of the circle).  This should put you on 100 Herz PL.

As for the offset on 440 MHz., the default is supposed to be 5MHz for the
440 band.  The direction depends on where you are on the band.  What offset
are you trying for?  Just changing the direction is easy, but changing the
default offset may require sighted assistance.  That's because the changes
in offset go in such small steps that it would take a lot of clicks to get
to a particular offset.
         Have you considered buying the data cable and downloading the
software from Kenwood to allow you to set menu functions more easily?  The
cable is about $32, I think, and the software is free.  I have the cable on
order and it should arrive later this week.  The software is supposed to be
quite accessible.  I will let you know how it works out.

In the meantime, let me ask again what offset you are trying for on 440.

73,

Dave, A F 6 Y