Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 04:03:47 -0700
From:
  There was a period, about 15 years ago, when "diskless
workstations" were popular.  DHCP is based on the BOOTP protocol
which allowed these machines to obtain OS bootstrap code over a LAN
connection, and to this day many NICs include a socket for a ROM to
implement this functionality.
  (The ROM is socketted, because the coding in the ROM needs to be
correct for the system CPU.)

  So it is at least theoretically possible that they have a server
that can provide the OS via BOOTP, and that they intend to purchase
suitable ROMs for the realtek NICs.

David Gillett

On 7 Aug 2001, at 16:36, Roberto Safora wrote:

> One of our schools has asked for systems dtk Gráfika.
> Those systems are based on a PRM 13 mobo, 64  mb dimm, optional slim cd
> driver , lan realtek 10/100, cpu piii fc-pga...No fdd, no HDD
> They say they are going to use those Gráfikas for educational purposes, in a
> classroom, or conference places.
> The systems are suposed to run the applications on a server.
> Pfysically speaking, how can you make applications run in these Gráfikas
> systems through the network?
> how would those Gráfikas start? is it software or hardware?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml