From:
Nancy McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:48:29 +0000

Hello listmates:

I decided to wait to summarize until after a trip we were taking, and after
I had seen my doctor a second time.  The doctor said that steatorrhea and
other symptoms are common when making major changes in the diet, and that it
should subside after about three weeks, when the digestive tract has had a
chance to heal.  She also recommended that I increase "soluble fiber" which
creates the right environment for intestinal flora (asparagus, onion and
garlic are a few sources, and it can be obtained in supplemental capsules
called "prebiotics".  To speed up the process, "probiotics" - acidophilus,
etc.  could be taken.  And finally, Beta Hcl was recommended because the pH
of my system is too alkaline.  (I hope I understood that right - Hcl sounds
alkaline to me...)

A number of respondents to my question mentioned that digestive enzymes
should help with the malabsorption of fats.  One person said that they had
read that the celiac response to gluten inactivates an enzyme in the
gallbladder that is necessary for the digestion of fats, and that when one
becomes gf for a while, the production of the enzyme is restored.

Another person experienced steatorrhea as a result of mercury amalgam
poisoning, and the problem cleared up when they had the filling replaced
with a plastic one.  I see my dentist anyway this week, so I will ask what
kind of fillings I have, just for the record. I  do not think that the
malabsorption is caused by that, though,  since it is a temporary disorder
that occurs when I change my diet.

I hope that those of you who replied to my post saying that you were
experiencing similar difficulties will be helped by something you read here.
  Nancy in So. Oregon