From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:02:06 -0500

Hi,

I received several emails after my recent post about Ragu products that
other listmates had received conflicting information.

This morning I went to the Lipton website and it indicated that they
provide a GF list of all of their products.  All you needed to do was
call  800-697-7897 and ask!   I had a previous GF list that was about
6-9 months old and just wanted to update to be sure.

I called the 800 number and was told that since they now list ALL
ingredients on their labels (including wheat, oats, rye and barley)
there is no need for them to produce a GF list.  I was assured that
nothing would be hidden in the ingredients listing under natural
flavoring, etc.

They also offered to send a very nice book of cents off coupons on their
products which include Knorr, Lipton Recipe Secrets, Five Brothers,
Brummel & Brown, Country Crock, Hellmann's, I Can't Belive It's not
Butter, Imperial, Lawrys, Best Foods, Sizzle & Stir, Lipton, Ragu,
Promise, Skippy, Take Control and Wishbone.

I wonder if we won't see other companies follow their lead and gluten
free listings will disappear and be replaced by clear labels.

Now, I just have to get to where I can feel comfortable trusting the
information on the labels!  As for me, I think I will still call the 800
numbers and inquire about any ingredient that might be questionable in
my mind -- for now anyway.

Please feel free to call and verify my findings.

Happy healthy GF eating to you all,

Barbara in Illinois