From:
EmmaJane Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:19:49 -0400

Dear Listmates,

I deeply regret the length of time it has taken for me to summarize the
emails regarding eating GF in Louisville, Kentucky.  Finally, I eeked
out the time to do it!  I hope this helps.

I must add that the Cafe Fraiche received high accolades from the people
who wrote me.  I also want to thank one special member of the list for
offering to meet with myself and my husband.  This is greatly
appreciated and we plan to call this member the minute we get ourselves
settled into our hotel!

Listed below are excerpts from my responses.  A heartfelt thanks to one
and all who were kind and thoughtful enough to write and offer help.

EmmaJane Adams
Danville, PA

Do make sure you visit the Kentucky Derby Museum. It is well worth the
time. They also have a restaurant at the Museum. Give it a try.

Places to eat:

Ferd Grasanti's Italian Restaurant on Taylorsville Rd. in Jeffersontown.
Chef Vince will make you a gluten-free meal to order.

The Bristol Bar & Grill on North Hurstbourne Lane;

Texas Road House - various locations throughout the city. Their steaks,
free range chicken, salmon and ribs are gluten-free. Have them hold the
sauce when you order the ribs. The ribs are sooo tender and flavorful
that they don't need the sauce any way.

Bucca de Bepo family style Italian restaurant - just ask to speak with
the chef and he'll fix you up gluten-free.

English Grill (upscale 4 stars) at the Brown Hotel at Fourth and
Broadway in downtown Louisville. The hotel is a renovated southern-style
establishment. Chef Joe loves to create special dishes for special
people!

Cafe Fraiche - on Brownsboro Rd. in Chenoweth Plaza Shopping Center.
Call before going there for lunch. Usually open Mon, - Fri. for lunch
only. Call: 502/894-8929 and ask for Maureen. She prepares gluten-free
dishes to order and most of the items on her menu are already GF.
Maureen usually has GF bread on hand.

There is a wonderful restaurant there called Jicama Grill.  It's a
fairly expensive restaurant, but they do have all ranges of prices.  The
waiter was very cooperative and we both had a great meal there:  we
ordered the salmon and the steak -- one sauce was OK and one was not.  I
can't remember which one, but the waiter checked the ingredients and
shared the info with us.  We also shared some of the appetizers.  Again,
the waiter led us to the best choices.

You may have already had some responses to your question, as I've been
out of town.  Cafe Fraiche on Brownsboro Rd. is a great place for
lunch--Maureen, the owner, is very Celiac-smart, and she always has
gluten free bread to make sandwiches, and uses corn starch for
thickening in her soups.  She also bakes and sells gluten free breads
and buns (and cakes--my daughter just had a great birthday cake baked by
Maureen).

Winstons on Bardstown Rd (part of Sullivan University) is pricey, but
also very good on Celiac (and if you call ahead, it's even better).

We also often eat at KTs on Lexington and Grinstead, and they are very
kid-friendly.

Good health food stores include Rainbow Blossum on Lexington Road and
Health and Harvest in the Gardiner Lane Shopping center on Bardstown
(across from Winston's).